- Can I get my Social Security contributions when I return back to India?
- Will I be eligible for Social Security benefits when I reach the retirement age?
- How do I earn a Social Security Credit?
- How long would it take for me to earn 40 credits?
"The amount of earnings it takes to earn a credit changes each year. In the year 2009, you must earn $1,090 in covered earnings to get one Social Security or Medicare work credit and $4,360 to get the maximum four credits for the year". Refer to Social Security website for up to date information.
- How do I notify Social Security Administration (SSA) about my change in address?
- Will I get my SSA benefits when I reach the retirement age?
- Will I get my SSA benefits even if I'm not in US during my retirement?
- Will I get my SSA benefits, even if I am NOT a US Citizen? (added later based on readers' feedback)
Assuming that you are going to Return to India (with or without US Citizenship, doesn't matter), you *ARE* eligible for SSA benefits if you have 40 credits. You can find more details here at SSA website
India is one of the countries listed under "You are a citizen of one of the countries listed below, and the worker on whose record your benefits are based lived in the United States for at least 10 years or earned at least 40 credits under the U.S. Social Security system. If you are receiving benefits as a dependent or survivor ..."
- Will I have to lose my Social Security savings, if I don't live in US for 10 years?
- How do I apply for SSA benefits when I reach my retirement age?
- How can I lock my SSN?
- Where can I find more information regarding Social Security Questions?
Note: The information included in this blog post is subject to change. Please read the FAQs in SSA website to get the up-to-date information
R2I Checklist - 25 things to do
How to apply for Credit Freeze during R2I?