Finally, we were able to register my daughter's PIO card. She can legally stay in this country for another two years (i.e., Her US passport expires in 2 years). First of all, if your kid has a PIO card, he/she can legally stay in India for 6 months. You can/should do the registration within the first 30 days after the expiry of 6 months. You need the following list of documents to register your kid's PIO card (i.e., to extend his/her legal stay in India):
1) Application Form
2) Passport Size Photograph with white background - 2
3) Request letter from Parent/Guaridan for extension
4) Copy of Photo Page, Passport Validity Page, Arrival date page of Passport
5) PIO Card Copy
6) Address Proof: Letter from House Owner/Lease agreement copy & copy of Electricity Bill or card/Tele.Bill/Ration Card
Some things to note regarding address proof:
1) The Bureau of Immigration Services need only the documents mentioned under item (6)
2) It is very much recommended to have more than one address proof for PIO registration.
3) Minors may not have any of the above mentioned address proof documents. It is OK to show the address proof for the parent(s).
4) Parent's passport cannot be used for address proof.
5) If you are renting a house and if the Electricity Bill or card is not on your name (but on the house owner's name), you can still produce that as a legal address proof (along with the letter from the house owner).
Additional details that might help
- You can download the PDF version of the "Registration Form" from the Form Download section of the Indian Immigration website. The website also provides contact information for the FRRO offices (under Contact Addresses section). You can call them and find out the office timings (Note: The FRRO office works from 9 am - 5 pm. However, the PIO Registration desk may be closed earlier than that. So, it is recommended to call your nearest FRRO office to find out their working hours).
- As far as the requisition letter is concerned, you can just write a simple letter (no specific format is required). Address it to the FRRO and say the reason why you or your son/daughter need to extend their stay. Then, just sign at the bottom. That should do. I prepared a hand written letter and they accepted that.
The whole registration process can be completed within a week's time. You have to go in person to get the PIO registration proof + also to get the registration details attested in the Passport & PIO card.
(Disclaimer: The information contained in this blog is current as of Aug 2009. There are chances that the Indian government could've changed the rules/requirements. Please visit the immigration website for current information)
The OCI Hooplah